The ARTE Institute for Lifelong Learning, based in Las Cruces, will offer lectures, local excursions, an art trip to Dallas-Fort Worth and special events during its fall 2021 semester. The theme is “Epic Art of The American Indian.”
ARTE was created earlier this year by Kathleen Albers and Kathleen Key – billing themselves as “The Two Ks.” Albers retired earlier this year after more than 20 years with the Doña Ana Arts Council (DAAC), including as its longtime director. Key teaches art history at UTEP. The two have collaborated on several DAAC arts programs.
The fee for the semester is $155 per person.
Here are ARTE fall semester highlights:
Lectures with Kathleen Key (25 Zoom sessions)
- Epic Art of The American Indian – North America, Mexico and Central America: 10 sessions, 5:30 to 7 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 13-Dec. 6;
- Art and Travel Dream Trips in Europe and New Mexico: 10 sessions, 5:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 15-Dec. 1;
- Dallas–Fort Worth pre-excursion lectures: five sessions, 3:30 to 5 p.m. Fridays, Sept. 24-Oct. 29. Topics will include J.M.W. Turner and Vincent van Gogh exhibitions and these permanent collections: Kimbell Art Museum, Dallas Museum of Art and Nasher Sculpture Center, Amon Carter Museum of American Art and Contemporary Art Museum of Fort Worth. There will be no lecture Oct. 8.
Local excursions and events
- Franciscan Festival of Fine Arts: Saturday-Sunday, Sept. 4-5 at Holy Cross Retreat Center (HCRC), 600 Holy Cross Road. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day, The Two Ks and ARTE students will be at the Enchilada, Beer and Wine Garden;
- Private tour of Hal Marcus Gallery and home studio, 1308 N. Oregon St., in El Paso, 4 to 7 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 18; limited to 30 people;
- Art and Spirituality, Friday-Sunday, Oct. 8-10 at HCRC, presented by Kathleen Key with a presentation by Jan Hampton on SoulCollage (soulcollage.com). The retreat fee is included in the ARTE semester fee; attendees pay for food and lodging separately;
- Classical Halloween Extravaganza (costumes encouraged) with history professor Jim Smith, 2:30 to 6 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 24 at HCRC;
- Tour local artist galleries and studios in historic old Mesilla, either Friday, Dec. 3, or Saturday, Dec. 4;
- ARTE holiday party, 5-7 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 8 at HCRC.
Dallas-Fort Worth ARTE Excursion
Wednesday through Sunday, Nov. 3-7. A few spots are still available for the trip, which will include visits to the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth (J.M.W. Turner exhibition) and the Dallas Museum of Art (van Gogh exhibition).
For registration and more information, contact Kathleen Albers at 575-635-1973 and firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact Keys at 575-915-4965 and email@example.com.